Situated in the Kvarner Gulf, Krk is the northest island of the Adriatic Sea. It has been inhabited since prehistoric times, its present tongue-twisting name originates from its Roman name, Curicta. Krk island was the home of the extincted Vegliot dialect of the Dalmatian language. The last speaker of this language was a barber, Tuone Udaina, who was killed by an anarchist's bomb in 1898.
Krk is related to other linguistic curiosity. The first written record in Glagolitic language, the Baška tablet was found on the southern part of the island, in the village of Baška.
The island's administrative and cultural centre, Krk town was the property of the Krk (Veglia) family in the Middle Ages. The 15th-century town walls are still standing and the old town has preserved its medieval atmosphere.
Getting here & around
Zagreb (A1) – Bosiljevo junction (A6) - exit Oštrovica (road 501) - Križišće (523, 102) - Krk bridge (102, 104).
The viaduct that connects the island with the mainland is 1430 m long. It was opened in 1980 and was originally called Tito bridge.
Bridge toll: car 35 Kn, caravan 46 Kn
Bank cards are accepted.
The centre of the island, Krk town lies 27 km away from the bridge.
From the bus station walk on Šetalište Sv. Bernardina promenade to get to the old town.
Rijeka - Krk (buses run in every hour) 60 Kn
Krk - Baška (9 buses daily) 32 Kn
There is a regular ferry between Krk (Valbiska) and Cres island (Merag). The trip takes 30 minutes.
The airport of Rijeka (www.rijeka-airport.hr) is situated on the island, a few kilometres away from the bridge. Shuttle buses run between the airport and Rijeka main bus station. The journey takes 30 minutes, the one-way ticket costs 30 Kn.
Vela Placa 1/1.
Tel: +385 (0)51 221 414
The old town lies at the entrance of the small marina and is connected with the residental area by the bustling Sv. Bernardina promenade. This promenade together with the square around the 15th-century guard tower is the centre of Krk town.
The narrow streets of the old town starts behind the guard tower. They are lined with historical buildings including the 15th-century town hall, a Renaissance stone fountain with the Frankopan's coat of arms, old churches and town gates.
Built on the site of an early Christian church, the three-aisled cathedral has a baroque altar and Corinthian columns which have been renovated recently. The neighbouring bishop's palace houses the Museum of Religious Art. The collection's most remarkable items are the paintings of 16-17th-century Italian masters.
This massive building was originally built for a prison in 1191. Its round and square bastions bear the Frankopan's coat of arms. The small platform with the cisterns serves as a stage for summer performances.
The first settlement you bump into on Krk island after crossing Krk bridge. Omišalj is an ancient place founded by Romans as Fulfinium in the 1st century BC. In the Middle Ages it belonged to the influential Frangepan family, they built a fortress here.
Omišalj's old town is located 80m high, on the top of a hill. Its main attraction is the Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary with Renaissance details and glagolitic scripts. On the seaside the remnants of the ancient Fulfinium are worth visiting.
The cradle of the Croatian literacy. The oldest glagolitic script, the so-called Baška tablet was found in the near Jurandvor. The original stone tablet is now kept in the hall of the Strossmayer Gallery in Zagreb and a copy is exhibited in the church of Sv. Lucija abbey in Jurandvor. The entrance fee to the abbey complex is 20 Kn.
If you in Baška, do not miss the local museum (Zavičajni muzej, Kralja Zvonimira 28.) where traditional costumes of Krk island are on show. The museum is open only in the summer (from 5 to 10 pm), the admission charge is 10 Kn.
This tiny island is famous for its Franciscan monastery which happened to be found by the Benedictian order in the 11th century. During the Croatian War of Independence the most valuable church treasures of Dubrovnik were transported here.
The monastery's library still has a remarkable collection including ancient books, numismatical and zoological curiosities such as the one-eyed lamb. The boat trip from Punat to Košljun costs 20 Kn (return ticket), the admission fee to the museum is 20 Kn (children 10 Kn).